Skip to main content

Welcome to Save MX!


This blog has been a long time coming, I'm not the type of person to start a blog but this topic is something very important to me and something I feel there is a solution to. Motocross is a great sport for many reasons, for me its a way of life and from what I see and read that is true for a lot of other people as well, but there seems to be a lot of negativity surrounding the future of the sport and that is what I want Save MX! to address. I would really like to see some discussion in the comments below as we work toward saving motocross and building a positive, prosperous future.  I also want this to be a great resource for new riders, feel free to ask questions and if you have an answer please chime in. There are so many different aspects to moto and over the years I have learned a few tricks that I want to share, my newest venture is moto dad and I love watching my son not only develop his skills but just enjoying every second he is on a dirt bike. I plan to discuss a lot of topics here but the under lying theme I believe will save the sport is encouragement and staying positive, everyone at any age and skill level can get so much enjoyment out of motocross and for those of us that have been around it for a long time its up to us to help everyone around us to achieve that enjoyment. Imagine if a non motocross parent brings their son or daughter to the track for the first time, has absolutely no idea of what to do or where to go but wants to encourage their child's new found interest. Imagine the impact you would have on that family if you simply helped them get started that first day and what a great first impression they would have of the sport. This is the type of thing I believe will bring new people into motocross and encourage them to stay.

I will go on my first rant later this week but I just wanted to get the ball rolling and the word out there that Save MX! is up and running. I hope this is a lot of fun and with input and feedback from people like you I think it will be, lets start getting this sport back on track, together we can save MX!

Comments

  1. Worthy cause but way to late. America's youth are no longer enchanted by dangerous sports that require pain, suffering, training and discipline. And more importantly they are not willing to work long hours at a job to be able to afford it. Those that do spend their money on other things like $40,000 cars that just get them to work so they can make the $600/mo payment to keep going back to work just to make the payment.
    The industry does not care about the health of the sport so why would we? Time to define the "health of the sport". Is it pro racers getting free bikes and free gear fighting for a pittance of a income or is Joe Blow buying bikes, gear, parts and paying to ride at local riding areas?
    Which one will keep the manufacturers making bikes? The answer is clear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I get it, its definitely an overall attitude thing but in answer to your question I say its the sport at grassroots level I think we should worry about, from there everything will take care of it self. If we can get butts on seats and increase interest at a club level I think everything else will fall into place.

      Delete
  2. The industry doesn't care about MX like they once did. The over 50 plus crowd is the only thing keeping the motorcycle side of the sport going. Many of the 50 plus crowd are now trading in their bikes for side x sides. We need a spec class and a bike that is under 5000 new in that spec class to get beginners out there. There are no back yards, strippens, or abandon areas to ride like there once was. So we need a real novice class with a novice class priced bike. Preferably air cooled but still, it needs to be cheap and easily maintained. about 30 HP would be enough out of a 250 bike. Only way to get new blood that hasn't been a descendant of someone who rode in the 70's, 80's and 90's

    The sport has changed from grass roots district having an importance to Loretta Lynn's championship being the do all and end all in our sport. Only like 1200 gates available and many ride 2 classes so its more like 750 that get to the big dance. Lots of heartache and afterwards it's save for Mini O's.

    Everyone pursues the sport to become a national champ. That is the mentality, and many people have just left the sport because it has become too serious. The risk vs reward isn't there, let alone the amount of money it takes today. Shame. It was a great sport.

    ReplyDelete
  3. posted from someone who has raced since 1978 and I just have had enough the last two years. I believe the sport has evolved without me and many others. You'll find me in a offroad park and doing scrambles and GP's from now on...............

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Where do we start?

I think the foundation of the solution is simple, get more people riding dirt bikes. I find it almost comical that we have the people at Feld almost falling over themselves trying to bring changes to Supercross, talking about a chase format or the triple crown or doing away with semis etc. Then we have the major media outlets discussing these changes like they are oh so important. We are told these changes need to take place to keep things fresh and bring in new viewers. I don't really care what they are doing I'll still watch it but it feels like change for the sake of change, if I was a new viewer or I just started watching last year I'd just be confused. If you look at other main stream sports they may change up a few aspects around its core but it still remains what it is, I don't see the Super Bowl going to a best of seven play off series anytime soon and for good reason. Then there is money problem, the top five riders in the 450 class make great money and

The all important bike - part 1

Unless you have a lot of money to be burning on dirt bikes chances are very good you have a complex strategy to keep yourself on the newest, most reliable bike you can afford. Not only that but I'm sure your strategy is ever evolving and you were planning your next bike almost as soon as you picked up the one you are on now. So for someone just starting out what do you look for? New bikes have always been expensive but in my opinion the last two years or so prices have just gone crazy. Depending on where you are in the world a new 450 is going to cost you somewhere between $9500 and $12000, ouch! Then, if you believe the magazines and websites, you have to lay out more cash for a pipe (because 450's don't make enough power?!?!) and to have your suspension valved. That isn't my opinion but whatever works for each individual rider. For riders entering the sport prices of of new bike must seem a little overwhelming but there are a lot of good used bikes out there. I t